|+1 (650) 319-5001
Senior Engineering Manager || Washington, DC USA || Apr 2022 - Present
- Guiding technical delivery and direction of a cross-functional team of engineers, designers, and QA professionals in creating a multilingual, accessible framework of reusable frontend components for use in Wikimedia projects
- Mentoring frontend and full-stack engineers, providing career growth counseling and guidance
United States Digital Service
Digital Services Expert || Washington, DC USA || Oct 2020 - Mar 2022
- Architect, engineer, and deliver technical projects, impacting millions of everyday Americans, at six federal and state government agencies (VA, State of Colorado, CDC, EPA, Commonwealth of Virginia, Department of State)
- Generalist consultant on topics including architecture, cloud services, data engineering, API development, and frontend
- Close, multidisciplinary work with design, product, and procurement; frequent meetings with senior agency stakeholders
- Hosted internal talk on the importance of localization and internationalization in government services
- Helped to organize and participated in several organization-wide hack days
- Assisted in organizing and hosting a Women’s History Month Wikipedia Edit-a-thon
Engineering Manager, SoundBetter || New York, NY USA || Jan 2020 - Sep 2020
- Oversee and mentor 7 frontend, backend, and machine learning engineers
- Supervise delivery for up to 4 project teams focused on backend, frontend, and ML deliverables
- Manage ongoing migration of technical stack from Ruby on Rails monolith to microservice infrastructure
Engineering Manager, Home Consumer Electronics || Stockholm, Sweden || Jan 2019 - Dec 2019
- Oversee and mentor a team of 6-8 fullstack and native engineers.
- Ship apps to 10s of millions of users on 8 TV and gaming platforms, including Playstation and Google Chromecast
- Conduct extensive hiring and outreach for full-time hires and contractors.
- Improve team eNPS and OfficeVibe scores significantly
- Create the first Apple TV app for Spotify, working with diverse stakeholders - product, marketing, legal, communications, business development, design, and numerous technical teams. App was for many weeks the top media streaming app in the app store in many countries and remains in the top ten
- Co-facilitate a number of department-wide hack days and hack weeks.
- Helped plan and facilitate Women in Tech event at Spotify Headquarters
WillowTree Inc. - Durham, NC USA
Engineering Manager / Principal Engineer || Jan 2017 - Oct 2018
- Oversee and mentor 14-16 web, iOS/tvOS, and Android engineering and QA professionals.
- Lead various company-wide initiatives, guide technical excellence across projects, including driving internal learning initiatives
- Architect and contribute iOS technical fixes
- Liaise with clients, QA, development, design, project managers, and executives.
- Assist with extensive company hiring and outreach.
- Chief technical client contact and technical lead in implementing streaming subscription service for a well-known broadcaster.
- Lead technical direction and work with project manager to manage an agile four-platform team of up to 15 developers.
Apple Inc - Cupertino, CA USA
Software Engineer, Senior Software Engineer - Siri || Aug 2015 - Nov 2016
- Work with a small team to adapt, port, and rewrite iOS Siri UI for macOS Sierra.
- Create a number of hack week projects with presentations to senior executives
Software Engineer - Internationalization || Sep 2011 - Aug 2015
- Create and improve international APIs, language models, input methods, autocorrection, and keyboards for 50+ languages.
- Present twice at Apple Worldwide Developer Conference on Internationalization and related APIs
- Develop widely-used, public-facing name formatting APIs
- Create a low-level tool to update ICU timezone database over the air
- Develop web APIs and Social framework tie-in to OS-based social sharing
- Write concurrent, python-based pipeline to generate language models
Loqate, Inc. - Redwood City, CA USA
Software Engineer || Dec 2010 - Aug 2011
- Engineer, optimize, and streamline software for use in parsing international multilingual address data.
- Mine, clean, and index Chinese-langauge Wikipedia address data
- Create an autocomplete plugin to coordinate multiple form fields on the Oracle.com signup page
Coding it Forward - Civic Tech Mentor || Jun 2021 – Aug 2021
Mentored two civic technologist interns, providing career guidance, resume reviews, and virtual coaching sessions.
Apple Worldwide Developers Conference (WWDC)
- 2015: “What’s New In Internationalization”
- 2013: “Making Your App World-Ready” (NSFormatters portion)
- Stanford University, Stanford, CA USA, June 2010
- B.A.S., Symbolic Systems – Natural Language Focus
- B.A.S., East Asian Languages and Cultures – Chinese Focus
|Oxford University, Oxford, UK
||Jan - Mar 2010
||Quarter Study Abroad, focus on Historical Linguistics and Chinese History
- Familiar: Java, SQL(MySQL, PostgreSQL, SQLite), C/C++, Azure, Terraform, GIS/Mapping technology
- Acquainted: LATEX, Ruby, PHP
- Fluent: English, Mandarin Chinese, Latin
- Studied: Swedish, Japanese, Arabic, Spanish, Russian, Korean, Finnish, Portuguese
Processes, Apps, and Skills
- Proficient: Internationalization, Accessibility, Natural Language Processing
- Familiar: DevOps, SRE, Data Engineering, API Development
- Tools: Github Actions, Github/Gitlab, Jira, Trello, AirTable, Teamwork, Confluence, TeamCity, Google Analytics
- Skills: Agile Methodology, Project management, Meeting facilitation, Open Source development, hiring